Even an RCD* wouldn’t have saved Denishar Woods from a potentially fatal electric shock from a tap
This article by the ABC outlines potential causes of electric shocks in the home.
Read article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/what-causes-taps-to-be-electrified/9508664 (new tab)
After a young girl receives a massive electric shock from a garden hose, the national peak electrical body warns people to watch out for danger signs that wiring may be faulty. If your tap is ‘tingly’ get it looked at immediately.
Potential causes of electrified taps include:
- Damage to the cables or equipment in the home or gardens caused by pests such as rats eating through cable insulation
- Poor installation methods if any previous DYI electrical work has been undertaken on the property
- The use of electrical products which are not compliant to Australian Standards.
- Previous maintenance or repair work, additions or changes that may have damaged the electrical systems
Worth a read to ensure your family’s safety.
*RCD: residual current device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current flowing through a circuit is not balanced between the live conductor(s) and the neutral conductor(s).